Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pronunciation Clarifications


Today marks the one week anniversary of Ava Ray coming into our lives. (It's not really a birthday so we're calling it her weekday.) It has come to my attention that some clarification needs to be made on a few items.

But before I get to those, let me first express how grateful I am to everyone who helped make Ava's birthday so special; All the people who sent us kind emails, posted kind blog comments, left kind voicemail messages, and kindly visited us while we were still in the hospital: Thank You!

We have also been blessed with so many wonderful gifts and flowers and meals and blankets and clothes... It's just been truly amazing to be so blessed by our friends and family! And all that ON TOP OF being so incredibly blessed by God with a healthy, wonderful, beautiful baby. (She is the cutest baby ever, isn't she?)

Please accept our apologies for not returning all the calls and emails yet - we're finding that time has been slipping away with out a trace while we've been getting to know out little girl!

And that brings me to a few clarifications about name pronunciations that I want to make really quickly here.

I realized that I sent out some emails announcing Ava Ray Bowker to the world but didn't give any clues about how to pronounce her name. I just don't know where my brain was. So here's a handy guide:
  • If you are a Gaelic speaker from Ireland, Ava is pronounced Aoife.
  • If you live in Bellingham, Wa, Ava is pronounced the same as the well known and celebrated Ava Ray Bowker Day, as seen below:
Also, particularly perceptive Internet adventurers may have noticed the true spelling and pronunciation of Kristi's name as seen here on this very official and legally binding hospital web page here.

So hopefully that clears up any confusion there may have been about that.

In other news, Ava is doing very well. She has been able to move her head around at will since birth. She's also very proficient at sleeping, pooping, peeing, sucking on fingers, arching her back when we try to put her in her car seat, and just generally looking as cute as a button. But before you get too excited about how advanced she is you should know that our baby book tells us that because she's nearly 10 pounds she's also already roughly two months old. Not bad for her first weekday, huh?

6 comments:

  1. Ava Ray Bowker Day -- How special and thoughtful; what a creative gift! You must be totally delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One week old and famous already! You and Kristi have a beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, I think you meant "You and Krusta." Wow, what a terrible name. Hatshepsut is better!

    What a nice mayor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Her own day already!! That's amazing; you guys must really be bucking for "best parents ever" award already!! (I expected nothing less.)

    SUPER COOL!! I can hardly wait to see all the cuteness myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome, Brian. I just knew she was destined for greatness!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KRUSTA!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What were they thinking? You guys are the best. I love how you find humor in everything. I totally need to learn Gaelic...

    ReplyDelete